Tuesday 22 July 2014

Maths In The Playground

Counting 1-10
I wrote the numbers 1-10 on plastic cups and plastic spoons and the children matched the numbers. They were then encouraged to spoon the correct number of spoonfuls into their cup. This quickly turned into a cooking game and we were all imagining delicious food being counted!!
This was quick to set up, very inexpensive and could be used for anything, in any area of the house or classroom.






Weighing
My lovely father-in-law made this for me as I thought this would add another dimension to our sand play, and it has been fantastic. In our sandpit, we have had children from my class which are 3 year olds up to 5 and 6 year olds, using the scales. All children have enjoyed it and of course, used it quite differently.
We used water and sand in the scales.


We used bark in the scales.

We used nuts in the scales.



Recognising the Numbers 1-5
I have done this a lot in the outdoor area as it is quick, simple and the children love it.
I write the numbers with chalk on the paving for children to identify, trace over, jump on and talk about.
Sometimes I write them in order, sometimes I mix up the order or count backwards.




Matching Colours and Pairs
I cut out some socks and undies out of felt for the children to wash and iron outside. This is always fun and all of the children loved this. I had to explain what an iron was which I thought was funny!




If you would like to order a set of scales for your sandpit and you live locally, please leave me a comment.
Have fun outside!
Niccola

10 comments:

  1. I love these ideas - especially the scales! I'd love you to come over and link up at my party http://www.supermommyclub.com/super-mommy-club-party-week-14

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the matching socks and undies! Such fun ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE these ideas! Looks like the kids had a blast measuring the sand... And such a perfect way to practice baking too! You must have made perfect mud pies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Niccola, thanks so much for linking up to the Outdoor Play Party. I am going to feature your post as my favourite when the new OPP opens on Friday xx Kierna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you all had a great time! Featured you on Mom's Library this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! What a fabulous way to take maths outdoors :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some fun ideas!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super-Duper site! I am Loving it!! Will come back again, Im taking your feed also, Thanks. soft play equipment

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Info!
    The Pakistan Property Sale Website With Manay More Ciries in Pakistan
    Arabian 99 Mall location

    ReplyDelete