Monday 28 December 2015

Pom Pom Poppers

Every school holidays I head to the local Library with my kids and we stock up on a variety of books. Last holidays I borrowed lots of books on using natural and recycled materials. They gave me lots of great ideas, including this one that my class absolutely LOVED!!!

Here are some of the books I borrowed....

I adapted this idea from one of the books.

Instead of using paper cups, I used plastic cups as I thought they would be more durable.

Cut the base out of the plastic cups.

Tie a knot in your balloon and snip the end off the balloon.

Stretch the balloon over the bottom of the cup and secure with some tape.

Get your child to decorate the cup with stickers, markers or coloured tape.

Now for fun part!!!

Put a pom pom in the cup and show your child how to pull on the knot and let it go. The force will shoot out the pom pom.

If you are really clever, you can try and catch it back in your cup. My class loved making these, playing with them inside and outside and shooting pom poms all over the classroom. Of course it was more fun when we filled the cups with pom poms and shot them all out at once.

This is a quick, simple, clever and fun holiday activity to make with your kids. Give it a go.
Niccola

3 comments:

  1. I think my children will love making these! Of course, I predict they will spend most of their time trying to hit each other with the pom poms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great alternative that won't hurt anyone! I know a few kids who are into nerf toys and always wondered when someone's eye will be taken out but this is way more appropriate especially for little ones. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an amazing post and I don't believe it that how can we recycle those cups into such a beautiful popper I've seen many of the ideas in house construction company this web's blog page but this is on the other level it looks like I should give it a try once

    ReplyDelete